1 I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord, forever; with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations. 2 I declare that your steadfast love is established forever; your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens. 3 You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to my servant David: 4 “I will establish your descendants forever, and build your throne for all generations.’ “ (Selah)
Two phrases really jump out at me today as I sit in contemplation, allowing these words of the Psalmist to wash over me. First is “faithfulness to all generations.”
- In a world so full of division, I seek the faithfulness of God to all generations.
- In a world so full of hatred, I seek reconciliation with the body of Christ that has been excluding.
- In a world so full of narcissism, I seek the community of generations gathering together to wait for the Lord.
The second is “steadfast love.” For as God’s faithfulness is revealed in the world, my heart sings with steadfast love. During this Advent, I sit with anticipation that the steadfast love which Christ taught us will again come to the earth bringing new life and love to all.
- In a world so full of idolatry, I seek the steadfast love of God to fill the world.
- In a world so filled with pain, I seek the healing love of God to overcome suffering.
- In a world so filled with fear, I seek the Advent love of God which transforms the lowly, the voiceless, the powerless, the hungry.
Come, Lord Jesus! The world is in need of your steadfast love.